Sep 15, 2005

Last weekend I acquired one of these:



A Moleskine notebook, manufactured in Italy by a company called Modo & Modo. Prior to that Saturday I had never heard of the Moleskine, nor had any particular need of a new notebook. And had I set out to purchase a notebook, the $16 price range would not have been my starting point. I was fortunate enough that this happened to be a gift, but I can nevertheless say that it's worth every penny. It is, in its pre-tech way, much like the iPod - beautiful, deceptively simple, and functional to the utmost. If you do any writing by hand at all, get one. You'll thank me.

Speaking of the iPod, Luke Williams of Frog Design has penned an impressive essay about it that, like much good creative work, is about more than just its subject. A quick but pithy read.

5 comments:

Bryan said...

I'll have to look into one of those. My large hardbound writing books always fall apart and I seem to lose all of my legal pads.

Writing on a computer is for chumps...

neal s said...

For my part, I do virtually all of my initial writing on a computer. I am constantly editing and revising, and I wouldn't trade that process in for anything. That's one modern convenience I happily indulge.

My notebook serves as a supplement to that, and I'll admit that I've been using it a lot more lately. Still, chump or no, the keyboard's the thing.

Bryan said...

Maybe you aren't a chump.... I mean... You're stuff is pretty good.

I've written a couple of first drafts on a computer, a few more on a typewriter and a few more in longhand. I find that the more stoneage I start, the better my revisions become because it forces me to reexamine every single letter I committed to the page.

So, after my first draft though, the computer is the thing... don't get me wrong...

Larson said...

My newfound desire to get my hands on one of these notebooks is purely romantic. Something tells me that artist I truly believe I am will finally expose himself as I plop myself on a lakeside bench in France, Moleskine in hand.

Larson said...

Maybe "expose himself" was the wrong term. You know what I mean...I hope.