Jan 5, 2006

Oft-mentioned (and for damn good reason) friend/collaborator Tony Larson has been interviewed for Slap magazine. Good stuff in there - click here to read it.

Staying on the design tip...check this out:

Coming straight out of Ornette Coleman's heyday, I challenge anybody to identify a collection of four dudes cooler than that. And, on top of that, the design itself is perfect. It's dominated by its strength, which is the photo, but rounded out by a nice, clean modernism that reflects the music it holds. A style like this might be called "simple" today, but I won't get down with that.

I arrive at this point because yesterday I bought the new Strokes album, First Impressions of Earth (which I'll be reviewing for Pixelsurgeon). The cover and packaging are absolutely dynamite:

What you can't see from that picture is the die-cut digipak that houses the "deluxe edition" CD - worth the extra buck or two by itself. It takes me back to the way I feel about many of the pieces in my vinyl collection, where the packaging and the artwork enhance the listening experience. Lately I've been lazy, buying whole albums off of iTunes for no reason other than convenience. It's a bad idea.

As for the album, it's also quite good, and I'll have more to say on that later.

1 comment:

Gordon Harries said...

Neal,

Would you give us a heads up on the Blog when the review goes live?

I’d be intrigued to read it.

ended up buying it on Saturday myself and your right, the packaging is a bold simple, strikingly beautiful thing.

Currently feeling the track ‘on the other side’ pretty hard.

Gordon.