Apr 23, 2006

When I set up the Myspace profile for Borrowed Time (feel free to add us), I chose Erik Satie as background music. I don't have any idea where this came from, since I hadn't listened to or even thought about Satie in five years or more. It literally just popped into my head. I took that as a sign that I needed to dig in, so I picked this up:

Satie: Popular Piano Works by Aldo Ciccolini

I'm not nearly well-versed enough in classical music to attempt a review, but I can tell you that I'm extremely glad to re-make Satie's acquaintance. His work is tinged with dramatic melancholy, but it never feels morose. To my ears it sounds like proto-jazz, and for some reason it reminds me of the solo works that Charles Mingus did on piano. This is a far from academic opinion, I know, but trust me. If you dabble in classical at all and haven't given Satie a try, do it. His most famous work is the Trois Gymnopedies - you'll get what you need by starting there.

I also couldn't help but note the similarities between the album cover and the book cover, something that was completely unintentional. There seems to be some way in which these two things belong together. I hope to find it.
***
I don't have all the details worked out yet, but it looks like Saturday, June 3rd will be the date for the book's release party. If you're in or can make it to Baltimore, pencil it in. I'll keep everyone posted as things firm up.

No comments: