Jul 2, 2006

An interesting discussion at Design Observer concerning Kafka and Typography. An excerpt:

...several readers have suggested that the "we" in the first sentence is not a human "we" but a set of printed letters. For many, including myself, the voice at the start of "The Trees" belongs to Kafka's letters themselves, speaking directly to the reader: "we are like tree trunks in the snow."

The essay falls apart a bit at the end, but mostly it's an enlightening read.
***
Another good read (registration required), this one about the continuing cross-pollination of the mainstream and adult film industries. It's of particular interest to those of you who work or might want to work in film, but the broader point at which it hints is what I find most noteworthy. There's a strange duality at work right now that I'm struggling to understand. While we seem, culturally, to be at an overwhelmingly conservative high tide, we are also seeing a lot of broken barriers, both good and bad. If these two forces are destined to meet, I wonder what the collision will look like? My gut tells me to hope it doesn't come to that.
***
I've said it before, but I'm pretty sure I mean it this time: the return of the Album Cover Project will happen soon. I have the record picked out and sitting right here next to me. You don't need to know that's been the case for over a month.
***
My San Diego Comic Con schedule is firming up. I'll be signing at least a couple of times at the Oni booth, and I'll also be keeping company with Chip and Nye (Left on Mission and Revenge) at table E 10. Stop by if you're in the neighborhood.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

We need to meet up and have some drinks in San Diego.